How can I calculate how long the head lice have been in my hair?
You can do this by measuring how far the eggs are positioned from the scalp. Eggs are laid near the scalp. Hair grows at about one centimetre a month. Therefore an egg that is situated 2 cm from the scalp was laid about 2 months ago.
Can head lice become resistant to a lice treatment?
Lyclear products do not contain any chemicals, but have a purely mechanical mode of action; therefore head lice cannot develop resistance to any of its ingredients. There is a possibility that head lice may become resistant to ingredients of insecticide-based products. However, true resistance to insecticides is relatively uncommon. Other reasons much more likely to be responsible for apparent treatment failure:
- a bad diagnosis
- failure to follow instructions: not enough product, treatment duration is too short, lack of head lice and eggs removal by combing, etc.
- (re)-infestation by untreated school friends, family members including adults
- no cleaning and disinfection of the environment
- no check 7 days after the first treatment and repeated treatment if necessary
Can head lice live outside of the hair?
Head lice may be able to live 2 to 3 days outside of the hair in a humid environment, but it is believed that they can no longer reproduce in such conditions.
Where can I go for help and advice?
You can seek advice from the local school nurse, pharmacist, or doctor.
What can I do to avoid a head lice (re) infestation?
We strongly recommend to regularly comb and check your child’s hair to spot head lice. This helps to avoid infestation reach the rest of the family. If a louse is found, carefully check the rest of the family and follow the easy steps for our treatments. This will ensure your child and your family are free from infection.
Some additional tips to protect your family:
- Ask your children not to share clothing such as scarves or caps with friends
- Tie up or braid long hair
- Wear a swimming cap in the swimming pool
- Disinfect the area and wash the bedding and personal items (scarves, caps…) at 60°C. Vacuum the house and car, and then throw the bag away.
Should I cut my child’s hair if he/she gets head lice?
No. Head lice live close to the scalp so cutting your child’s hair will not make any difference. The best you can do is to immediately treat your child. Read more about Lyclear treatments.
How did my child get head lice? Is this a matter of hygiene?
Head lice have nothing to do with hygiene. Anyone can get head lice, although they are more common in children. Head lice are spread through head contact or through the sharing of personal belongings (scarf, cycling helmet, etc.). Young children tend to have closer contact. That is why the primary school is a typical place where head lice are more easily spread. At any time, most schools will have a few children with active living head lice. Head lice do not discriminate between short or long, or clean or dirty hair.
How can I check my child for head lice?
Combing is the best way to find head lice. This is an important first step before beginning the treatment. Watch the demo how to check and treat your child.
Check dry hair for head lice using a fine toothed anti-lice comb
- First of all, brush to remove tangles, then check the hair lock by lock.
- Check the hair roots, behind the ears and in the nape of your child’s neck. It’s often in these areas that lice and eggs are found.
- After each use, carefully clean the comb in lukewarm, soapy water, so as to avoid any further infestation.
If you find living head lice, do not worry because Lyclear has highly effective products to treat your child. As head lice reproduce quickly, we advise you to treat your child immediately.
Do not forget to inform the school of your child’s infestation and to disinfect your surroundings. For more information, click here.
What to do in case of a head lice alert at school or kindergarten?
Before starting to use Lyclear, it’s important to check the hair of each family member thoroughly, preferably in daylight. Use an anti-lice comb to check dry hair for head lice and treat all those with head lice the same day, in order to avoid re-infestation.
For more info on how to use the Lyclear treatments, click on the links below: